Welcome to coaching at Edinburgh Leisure
We are unable to run our coaching programme under Level 4 guidelines. However, you can still see the timetable we will be running and request a space in a class for when we reopen. Here's how.
Everything you need to know about our classes
You can see what what classes are running where, check availability and even request a space - all online in 3 simple steps:
- Our sports classes cover everything from pre-school tinies through to club standard coaching with adult coaching available too. See which class would be right for you or your child using the 'our classes' button below.
- Find out where and when your class will be on when we reopen and whether it has spaces using the 'Class timetable' button below.
- You can then check space availability (updated every 4 hours) and complete a simple online 'Booking Request Form' to request a space.
Please note - if the class you are interested in is currently full, please keep checking our website. We are currently developing a form which will enable you to note interest in our coaching classes. This will enable us to get in touch if an appropriate space becomes available or see if there's enough interest to put more classes on if we can safely do so.
Please bear with us we may take longer than usual to get back to you at this time.
Coaching safety measures
As with all our other activities in our venues, to ensure the safety of everyone we’ve introduced a number of measures. We will continue to review these measures over the coming months as the environment and guidelines from the Scottish Government and national sports governing bodies change. Our priority will always be the safety of our customers and our teams. Some key things to be aware of are:
- We may use different entrances and exits to our buildings than normal.
- For older children, you may not be able to enter or stay in our buildings during your child’s lesson. This depends on the age of your child, and sometimes on the capacity of the building. Be assured if this is the case our team are there to help your child get to and from their class safely. We understand that there may be some circumstances where you may need to stay and support your child. Please discuss your requirements with the venue if this is the case.
- We have to maintain a safe number of people in our venues at any one time. If you are coming into our buildings with your child for their lesson, only one adult can accompany a child and we are asking our customers not to take siblings/other children with them if at all possible. Children under 12 do not have to distance from each other, but still have to distance from other adults and therefore still have to be accounted for in our safety measures and calculations.
For Gym Nippers, due to current restrictions all preschool children must be accompanied by an adult who can physically support them in the class, with instruction from the coach. The current guidance does not allow any coach (whatever their age) to carry out hands on coaching with any child (whatever their age). Preschool classes are therefore strongly recommended to have a ratio of one adult per child to ensure that the child can safely participate in the class and to enable them to take part in all the activities. In certain circumstances, this can increase to a maximum of one adult to two children however this has to be agreed in advance with our gymnastics coordinator or venue management. All children and adults in the area must maintain physical distancing from all other adults (including coaches) during the class in line with Scottish Government regulations. As ever, we are subject to Scottish Government and National Governing Body guidance and this may change
- Please follow the rules about wearing face coverings. Currently anyone aged 5 years and over is required to wear a face covering until their class.
Before you come to your first class class it’s important to read where to go and what to do at your venue and our full coaching guidelines below.
We know that this is a little different – for everyone - but we can assure you that our welcome will be as warm and our lessons as fun as ever. Our teams will always be there to look after you and your family. We appreciate your understanding as we work together to keep everyone safe.
Our sports classes
Develop your technique and improve through experience by joining one of the badminton clubs that play regularly at our venues, giving players of all ages and abilities the chance to learn or compete.
Boccia is a target ball sport similar to bowls. Our boccia session is open to both adults and young people with sensory, physical and learning disabilities.
We have indoor climbing courses for all levels of experience, from taster courses to dry tooling and lead climbing. We can take you outside to some of the best mountains in Scotland. We can even help you make a career out of climbing.
DanceDance classes can help sustain a young child's enthusiasm for movement and music. From ballet, highland dance to hip-hop and cheerleading, we have coaching to fit P1 to P7s.
Practice twists and turns with trampolines and harnesses in the Dry Dive area before taking to the big boards. We follow the National Diving Award Scheme with classes for all levels.
Starting from the age of 3 to P7 children in our classes will develop confidence, spatial awareness and teamwork. As they progress they'll put their skills, tactics and knowledge into practice playing the game they enjoy.
Developing skills for life in strength, coordination, self confidence and body awareness. Gymnastics General teaches the basics of floor and vaulting skills from 5 years upwards before progressing to a higher class.
Our Gym Nippers classes help to develop motor skills, balance and agility. Progress within these classes will be monitored against the Edinburgh Leisure class competencies and you can keep a track by signing up to our home portal.
JudoOur full contact judo courses progress through a grading system and involve throwing and holding movements promoting coordination, flexibility, balance, strength and endurance, teaching children self-discipline.
From toddlers to older adults, we aim to improve confidence in and out of the water, with an emphasis on fun and progression. Our swim teachers are fully accredited and follow Scottish Swimming Learn to Swim Programme.
We can get you or your kids on the way to serving up aces through our extensive junior and adult coaching programme, running according to age and ability.
TrampoliningFor children who like to be airborne. Trampolining delivers balance, coordination, cardio fitness and self-confidence. Toddlers and bouncing are a natural combination so courses start at pre-school age.
Coaching guidelines - Keep Safe
We have introduced rules and measures to ensure that we can welcome you back into an environment that is safe for you and our staff. We all have a responsibility as a community to keep each other safe, and by following our guidelines we can do this whilst enjoying being back climbing.
1. Important things to know about our coaching classes
3. How to find your way and what to expect in each of our venues
Our normal term dates
Our normal coaching term dates are below (subject to Scottish Government guidelines). We are currently unable to run our coaching programme under Level 4 restrictions but you can still request a space in our classes for when we reopen.
- Monday 16th November - Sunday 20th December 2020
- Monday 4th January - Sunday 4th July 2021.
For customers in our coaching programme, you can access your online coaching home portal anytime anywhere for;
- Updates on your child's progress
- Online booking for the next class
Follow this link for more information on how to set up your Coaching Home Portal account.
Swim education courses
We are proud to run a wide range of teaching, coaching, lifesaving, first aid and professional qualification courses. All are taught by highly skilled and motivated tutors. See what courses we have running below.