TennisThe junior tennis coaching programme at Edinburgh Leisure is recognised by the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) as being second to none! Our structured pathway allows children to develop their skills in groups with players of similar age and ability and progress from beginner stage to regional and national standard. It's not all about juniors. We also offer expert coaching for adults of all ages and abilities.
Important InformationWe are very happy to have coaching in our venues again. The positive feedback we have received from customers already using our venues saying how safe and enjoyable their experience with us has been has been has been hugely appreciated. We are working hard to ensure that our coaching customers have the same experience.
As with all our other activities in our venues, to ensure the safety of everyone we’ve introduced a number of measures. We will continue to review these measures over the coming months as the environment and guidelines from the Scottish Government and national sports governing bodies change. Our priority will always be the safety of our customers and our teams. Some key things to be aware of are:
- We may use different entrances and exits to our buildings than normal.
- For older children, you may not be able to enter or stay in our buildings during your child’s lesson. This depends on the age of your child, and sometimes on the capacity of the building. Be assured if this is the case our team are there to help your child get to and from their class safely. We understand that there may be some circumstances where you may need to stay and support your child. Please discuss your requirements with the venue if this is the case.
- We have to maintain a safe number of people in our venues at any one time. If you are coming into our buildings with your child for their lesson, only one adult can accompany a child and we are asking our customers not to take siblings/other children with them if at all possible. Children under 12 do not have to distance from each other, but still have to distance from other adults and therefore still have to be accounted for in our safety measures and calculations.
- Please follow the rules about wearing face coverings. Currently anyone aged 5 years and over is required to wear a face covering until their class.
Before you come to your first class class it’s important to read where to go and what to do at your venue – see here for full details.
Full details of our guidelines and what to expect in each of our venues can be found in ‘Coaching Guidelines’ below.
Find out more about:
Preschool aged children along with their parent/carer can enjoy this session, which will work on basic co-ordination & movement, fun games, and racket & ball skills.
Mini Tennis - Red Level
A friendly, fun environment for children in P1 and P2. Lots of fun games and practices at mini tennis red level to help develop co-ordination, movement, and tennis skills.
Mini Tennis - Orange Level
Children in P3 and P4 will develop their skills at mini tennis orange level. Fun sessions using exciting games and co-ordination exercises to help develop their shots and movement.
Mini Tennis - Green Level
Sessions for children in P5 and P6 to further develop their tennis skills and movement, using fun games, drills, and matchplay.
Children in P7 to S2 can enjoy these sessions developing their tennis technically and tactically using practice drills, fun games, and match play.
Silver classes are split into 2 levels: Silver 1 & 2 (Starter session) and Silver 3-5 (Experienced).
For teenagers in S3 to S6, these sessions will develop their tennis technically and tactically using practice drills, fun games, and matchplay.
Gold classes are split into 2 levels: Gold 1&2 (Starter session) and Gold 3-5 (Experienced).
Booking & Class Availability
You can see what what classes are running where, check availability and even request a space - all online in 3 simple steps:
- Our sports classes cover everything from pre-school tinies through to club standard coaching with adult coaching available too. Decide which class would be right for your child using our class information above.
- Find out where and when your class is on and whether it has spaces using the 'Class Availability' button below.
- You can then check space availability (updated every 4 hours) and complete a simple online 'Request Form'.
Coaching Guidelines & FAQs
IMPORTANT –KEEP SAFE GUIDELINES
We have introduced rules and measures to ensure that we can welcome you back into an environment that is safe for you and our staff. We all have a responsibility as a community to keep each other safe, and by following our guidelines we can do this whilst enjoying being back.
1. Important things to know about our coaching classes
2. How to find your way and what to expect in each of our venues
What do I need to know about tennis?
Tennis is played by millions of recreational players, at all ages, and is a popular worldwide spectator sport. The sport demands excellent fitness, aerobic stamina, agility, strength, speed, and precision. It is also a technical sport, requiring good motor coordination and the development of sophisticated racquet movements
At Edinburgh Leisure children and adults will learn tennis in a safe and inspirational environment, whether it’s at our specialist tennis centre at Craiglockhart, the outdoor Meadow Tennis Complex or one of our other tennis or leisure venues across the city. In all instances, we provide quality tennis facilities and equipment, ensuring a real tennis experience. Our tennis coaching programme has been recognised by Tennis Scotland and its ‘Tennis Mark’ accreditation scheme.
What should my child wear?
Children should wear appropriate comfortable clothing that they can move around and be active in, for example t-shirts, shorts, jogging bottoms and trainers. We ask children not to wear sandals or croc-type shoes for tennis. For our outdoor tennis we can experience a mix of weather conditions so at certain times of the year a pair of gloves may come in handy. If you are unsure, please check before coming along. Please also tie long hair back and remove any jewellery, and children should take a water bottle into their class with them.
Are there places to watch the tennis coaching?
We're sorry but no spectating is currently allowed.
Are there any opportunities to get involved?
Parents of children up to the age of 5 in our Tots Tennis classes are an important part of the class where both the children and adults have great fun learning and socialising together. From the age of 5 (Red) upwards, parents are not involved in the class.
When can my child start tennis?
The wonderful thing about tennis is you can start playing and enjoying the sport at any age. Our classes start at the age of 3 and go right through to adult. Classes are specifically designed so that whatever your age you can start to play, develop and enjoy the fantastic game of tennis.