Our football coach delivery is predominately through game based activities, rather than drills, to develop teamwork and promote independent thinking. Our Scottish Football Association qualified coaches will develop well rounded, technically competent players who learn to play and enjoy the game as a lifelong sport.
At Edinburgh Leisure children will learn football in a safe and inspirational environment across four leisure venues. In all instances, we provide quality football equipment, ensuring a real football experience. We’ve classes for all ages and our programme starts with those at pre-school and continues to develop children until their early teens, and throughout the year every child is assessed against specific skills to enable them to progress and develop.
Important InformationWe are very happy to have coaching in our venues again. The positive feedback we have received from customers already using our venues saying how safe and enjoyable their experience with us has been has been has been hugely appreciated. We are working hard to ensure that our coaching customers have the same experience.
As with all our other activities in our venues, to ensure the safety of everyone we’ve introduced a number of measures. We will continue to review these measures over the coming months as the environment and guidelines from the Scottish Government and national sports governing bodies change. Our priority will always be the safety of our customers and our teams. Some key things to be aware of are:
- We may use different entrances and exits to our buildings than normal.
- For older children, you may not be able to enter or stay in our buildings during your child’s lesson. This depends on the age of your child, and sometimes on the capacity of the building. Be assured if this is the case our team are there to help your child get to and from their class safely. We understand that there may be some circumstances where you may need to stay and support your child. Please discuss your requirements with the venue if this is the case.
- We have to maintain a safe number of people in our venues at any one time. If you are coming into our buildings with your child for their lesson, only one adult can accompany a child and we are asking our customers not to take siblings/other children with them if at all possible. Children under 12 do not have to distance from each other, but still have to distance from other adults and therefore still have to be accounted for in our safety measures and calculations.
Important: In some sports the national sports governing body's guidelines mean we cannot allow accompanying siblings/other children.
- Please follow the rules about wearing face coverings. Currently anyone aged 5 years and over is required to wear a face covering until their class.
Before you come to your first class class it’s important to read where to go and what to do at your venue – see here for full details.
Full details of our guidelines and what to expect in each of our venues can be found in ‘Coaching Guidelines’ below.
We know that this is a little different – for everyone - but we can assure you that our welcome will be as warm and our lessons as fun as ever. Our teams will always be there to look after you and your family. We appreciate your understanding as we work together to keep everyone safe.
Find put more about:
Edinburgh Leisure football academy
Our football sessions focus on skill development, getting them moving and most of all having fun! Our academy is currently running on a more limited programme than usual but there is still lots to keep budding football stars busy!
Target age group 18 months - 3 years. Classes 45 mins.
Kick Starters is a parent and child class introducing the game in a play oriented format.
Target age group 3 – 5yrs. Classes 45 mins.
Coach to participant ratio: 1:8 (maximum of 16)
Mini Kicker sessions are a great fun way to introduce your child to football, it is specially developed for children aged between 3 - 5 years. Children will develop their fundamental football skills through dribbling, passing and control of the ball while building confidence and learning teamwork.
Target age group P1 – P4. Classes 1 hour.
Coach to participant ratio: 1:10 (maximum of 20)
Children will participate in a variety of structured football activities that emphasis fun while learning new football skills. Maximizing the time spent with the ball will be a primary objective so that agility, balance, coordination and speed can be introduced through fun technical training. Tactical elements will be introduced to increase spatial awareness through small sided 4 v 4 and 5 v 5 games.
Target age group P5 – P7. Classes 1 hour.
Coach to participant ratio: 1:10 (maximum of 20)
Children will continue to build upon their football skills to establish technical excellence. Utilizing the children’s ability to problem solve, training will increase tactical awareness and understanding. The focus will be creating a fun and challenging environment where skill achievement will be accelerated and utilized in 7 v 7 games.
Booking & Class Availability
You can see what what classes are running where, check availability and even request a space - all online in 3 simple steps:
- Decide which class would be right for your child using our class information above.
- Find out where and when your class is on and whether it has spaces using the 'Class Availability' button below.
- You can then check space availability (updated every 4 hours) and complete a simple online 'Request Form'.
IMPORTANT – KEEP SAFE GUIDELINES
We have introduced rules and measures to ensure that we can welcome you back into an environment that is safe for you and our staff. We all have a responsibility as a community to keep each other safe, and by following our guidelines we can do this whilst enjoying being back. We hope you enjoy your session.
1. Important things to know about our coaching classes
2. How to find your way and what to expect in each of our venues
What to wear
Children should wear appropriate comfortable clothing that they can move around and be active in, for example T-shirts and shorts. Please tie long hair back and remove any jewellery, and children should take a water bottle into their class with them. All of our sessions are indoors so please wear trainers (not football boots). Shin pads can also be worn if desired but are not a pre-requisite.
When can children start football?
Starting from the age of 18 months to P7 children in our classes will develop confidence, spatial awareness and teamwork. As they progress they'll put their skills, tactics and knowledge into practice playing the game they enjoy
Our classes will develop confidence, spatial awareness and teamwork. As they progress they'll put their skills, tactics and knowledge into practice playing the game they enjoy. We currently offer classes at mini-kickers, general, intermediate and development levels.