Fancy yourself as a bit of a Tom Daley? Edinburgh Leisure is very proud to offer a fantastic diving pool at the Royal Commonwealth Pool, complete with a dedicated Dry Dive Area with trampolines and harnesses, so that you can practice all those twists and turns before taking them to the big boards - you'll get a glimpse on the video below! Our diving programme follows the National Diving Award Scheme with classes to suit beginners right through to those at a competitive level.
Important InformationWe are very happy to have coaching in our venues again. The positive feedback we have received from customers already using our venues saying how safe and enjoyable their experience with us has been has been has been hugely appreciated. We are working hard to ensure that our coaching customers have the same experience.
As with all our other activities in our venues, to ensure the safety of everyone we’ve introduced a number of measures. We will continue to review these measures over the coming months as the environment and guidelines from the Scottish Government and national sports governing bodies change. Our priority will always be the safety of our customers and our teams. Some key things to be aware of are:
- We may use different entrances and exits to our buildings than normal.
- For older children, you may not be able to enter or stay in our buildings during your child’s lesson. This depends on the age of your child, and sometimes on the capacity of the building. Be assured if this is the case our team are there to help your child get to and from their class safely. We understand that there may be some circumstances where you may need to stay and support your child. Please discuss your requirements with the venue if this is the case.
- We have to maintain a safe number of people in our venues at any one time. If you are coming into our buildings with your child for their lesson, only one adult can accompany a child and we are asking our customers not to take siblings/other children with them if at all possible. Children under 12 do not have to distance from each other, but still have to distance from other adults and therefore still have to be accounted for in our safety measures and calculations.
Important: In some sports the national sports governing body's guidelines mean we cannot allow accompanying siblings/other children.
- Children should arrive ready for their activity as there are no or limited changing spaces available. For swimming lessons this means ‘beach ready’. By this we mean easily removeable footwear and ideally a onesie or cosy robe over your child's swimwear. We are not allowed to put on or adjust your child's goggles so please ensure your child can put them on themselves or you fit them before your child comes through to the pool for their class.
- Please follow the rules about wearing face coverings. Currently anyone aged 5 years and over is required to wear a face covering until their class.
Before you come to your first class class it’s important to read where to go and what to do at your venue – see here for full details.
Full details of our guidelines and what to expect in each of our venues can be found in ‘Coaching Guidelines’ below.
We know that this is a little different – for everyone - but we can assure you that our welcome will be as warm and our lessons as fun as ever. Our teams will always be there to look after you and your family. We appreciate your understanding as we work together to keep everyone safe.
Find out more about:
Dive Skills 1
This is the first stage of the diving programme where basic diving skills are taught from poolside; including deep water confidence, jumping, rolling, first stages of head first diving & developmental shallow water skills. Entry Criteria:
• Children in Primary 1 and above
• Able to swim 10 metres unaided
• Comfortable in deep water
• Able to jump and submerge in water without goggles.
Dive Skills 2
This class follows on from the Dive Skills 1 class and develops skills and movements further from the poolside, 1 metre, and 3 metre. Entry criteria:
• Minimum 95% completion of Dive Skills 1 competencies
• Pike fall from 1 metre & competent jump from the 3 metre board
Dive Skills 3
At this level divers focus in learning skills from 4 different dive groups - forward, backwards, reverse, and inwards. Entry Criteria:
· Minimum completion 90% of Dive Skills 2 competencies
Dive Skills 4
The Dive Skills 4 class will develop the take-offs learned in Dive 3 and progress these four groups further, building skills, quality, and repetitions.. Entry Criteria:
• Minimum completion 85% of Dive Skills 3 competencies
Children will learn skills and dives from the poolside and one metre diving boards at a pace they are comfortable with. All parents and carers are welcome to sit on poolside next to the lesson taking place and watch as well as assist if they wish. We ask that children are able to swim confidently in deep water without goggles.
Jump and Dive
Specifically designed for 3 – 5 year olds, this class will focus on jumping techniques which promote self-confidence and social skills while having fun. Coaches will deliver the class using the trampoline and dive board in the dry land diving area . Children will learn how to land, shape and twist and will be a great starting point for progression to trampolining, gymnastics or diving classes from P1. We ask that parent please accompany their children to this class and be willing to assist their child with shapes.
A fantastic course suitable for beginners through to intermediate levels. Depending upon ability, the coaches will either start with the basic skills such as the hand grab and go through the three different shapes used in diving; and introduce more advanced skills and dives from the 6 directions - forward, backward, reverse, inward, twist, and armstand.
Divers can progress to our Masters classes - however there is no pressure and some people chose to train for fun and to keep fit.
Entry criteria - 16 years and above.
This class is specifically for adult divers who are aiming to compete. We offer 90-minute and 105-minute sessions, both of which include dry-land training.
Booking & Class Availability
You can see what what classes are running where, check availability and even request a space - all online in 3 simple steps:
- Our sports classes cover everything from pre-school tinies through to club standard coaching with adult coaching available too. Decide which class would be right for your child using our class information above.
- Find out where and when your class is on and whether it has spaces using the 'Class Availability' button below.
- You can then check space availability (updated every 4 hours) and complete a simple online 'Request Form'.
Please note: we cannot currently run our Adult Diving classes as these are restricted under Level 3 of the Scottish Government's guidance. Please continue to request a space if you are interested. We will book you in (if possible) and get back in touch as soon as we can confirm when these classes can start.
IMPORTANT – KEEP SAFE GUIDELINES
We have introduced rules and measures to ensure that we can welcome you back into an environment that is safe for you and our staff. We all have a responsibility as a community to keep each other safe, and by following our guidelines we can do this whilst enjoying being back.
1. Important things to know about our coaching classes
2. How to find your way and what to expect at each of our venues
Diving is one of the most exciting, challenging and thrilling sports there is. It requires commitment and concentration. The structure of lessons teaches hard work and dedication in a fun environment. Our lessons promote discipline, determination, courage and self-confidence, and kids will benefit from learning from their mistakes.
We’re proud that our diving programme is endorsed by the national governing body, Scottish Swimming. This means that your child (or you) will only ever be taught by a fully qualified Level 2 coach. Our coaches undertake regular trained and are monitored by our team of specialists.
We are lucky to have teachers with a range of backgrounds in. They all share the same passion for teaching and inspiring each and every child to have a lifelong enjoyment of the water.